one hundred and forty-nine

|


The part of the story that I didn't include yesterday was that before going to the sale, I prayed. I felt embarrassed even telling my husband yesterday. I prayed that God would teach me something. Even at a silly garage sale? Yes. I know myself well enough that my first reaction is to dive headfirst into the piles, get way too caught up in the treasure hunting, and leave my husband and friend, who are not hard-core thrift fans, bored and unhappy. I think that's probably why I asked God to help. When the whole pin incident happened I told my friend about my silly prayer and she asked, "so what do you think was the lesson?". I had no clue.! It just felt like a sign, but about what exactly, I honestly could not answer.

Then tonight while researching for thrift stores in Montreal, I came upon this article called Jesus in the Thrift Shop. The author writes about her mother who believed that Jesus answered her prayers, even on her thrift-shopping trips! I read it aloud to K and I started tearing reading the last two paragraphs,

"the story that [my mom] so wanted me to tell was that God is everywhere, in everything, and we should acknowledge and be grateful for it. He's in that perfect loaf of bread, or that dollar lying on the sidewalk, or the ray of sunlight that shines through your window. He's in the biggest and the smallest of things. He's with us and in us and around us, and if we believe in Him, we'll find him". Here's the link to the article, Jesus in the Thrift Shop by Deborah Akel.

In the book of Jeremiah, God says: "You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart".

I know this whole thing seems a bit silly but the incident has left a deep impression on me.

0 comments:

Post a Comment